SETTLE’S skipper Eddy Read delivered the second-best wicket return by an amateur this season as the Marshfield side routed Great Harwood at Cliffe Park.

His stunning tally of 8-46 was just six runs adrift of his own career best against the same team last season, and was achieved in 14 overs of hostile pace.

The home side were inserted by Settle and were soon 8-2 with sub pro Khan clean bowled by Read for nought before being all out for 100.

Settle’s new signing Adil Islam (25no) shared an unbroken second-wicket 91-run partnership with pro Imran Khalid (56no) who finished the match with a towering six to complete a nine-wicket victory.

Barnoldwick’s Louis Delport was also in devastating form with the ball. He took 8-69 as the Victory Park side secured a welcome 29-run win over Salesbury.

The South African pro took 8-69 as Salesbury made 185-9 in reply to Barnoldswick’s 214-5. Scott Wharton (74) was the one batsman to master Delport.

Barnoldswick, who have had an indifferent season, built their score around the contributions of Umar Siddique (90) and Luke Hodgson (77no).

Settle’s second team will soon have their sights set on promotion as they continued their winning run and stretched their lead at the top of Division Two.

Batting first against Whalley, William Booth (17), Josh Mullinder and Ethan Henare (16 each) paved the way for skipper Kieren Ashley’s unbeaten 28 as Settle reached 109 all out in difficult conditions

The visitors then had the best of the weather but Henare took 5-14 to consign them to a total of 74-9.

Earby 2nds suffered an agonising 13-run defeat in a close-fought Lawrenson Cup final against Read on Sunday.

Skipper Stephen Hipgrave won the toss an Nabeel Ahmed accelerated the scoring, hitting a six and 14 fours in his 102 which enabled his team to reach 221-7. Hipgrave and Adam Yates took two wickets apiece.

Earby’s reply got off to a shaky start and at 30- 3 the total was looking a long way off. Jake Hargreaves, batting at four ,scored a brisk 43 but at 138-7, Read were starting to celebrate.

Earby fought on and 46 from Jason Lockley got the visitors thinking the win might just be possible. They passed 200 with the last pair at the wicket and five overs left.

Sadly for Earby, Danny Helliwell (28) was dismissed and the cup was Read’s.