Evo-Stik Division One North play-off semi-final: Farsley Celtic 4 Colne 0

EVO-STIK Division One North runners-up Farsley Celtic reached the play- off final with a comfortable victory over fifth-placed Colne at Throstle Nest last night.

The Celts missed out on the title at the weekend by just one point but put that disappointment behind them in quick time.

Just three days later, they hosted a Colne side who were seeking back-to-back promotions after winning the Hallmark Security League Premier Division last season.

There was a very tense opening spell at the Nest but Farsley broke the deadlock from a 26th-minute set-piece.

James Walshaw took a through ball from skipper Aaron Hardy and forced a corner, and Aiden Savory turned the flag-kick over the line as the Colne defence failed to deal with the danger.

Leading scorer Walshaw doubled the home side’s lead two minutes before the break when he tapped in from close range after Peter Davidson had flicked the ball past visiting keeper Greg Hartley.

There was still time for a third before the interval as Adam Clayton headed in a corner in first-half stoppage time.

After struggling in the early exchanges - no doubt due to the immense pressure of a single-leg play-off semi-final - the first goal eased the nerves and the Celts never looked back.

They could even afford an unsuccessful penalty after Lewis Nightingale was brought down in the area on the hour.

Richard Marshall's effort was on target but Hartley did well to parry it for a corner.

The Celts put the gloss on their win with a fourth nine minutes from time, Nightingale steered the ball home after the home side had won possession back in midfield before launching a counter-attack.

Farsley will host near-neighbours Ossett Town in a winner-takes-all final at the Nest on Saturday.

The Celts earned home advantage because of their higher finish in the final table.

Ossett Town ended in fourth spot, behind Scarborough Athletic on goal difference only, but they beat Steve Kittrick’s Seadogs 3-1 in the other play-off semi-final last night.

Silsden reclaimed tenth place in Division One of the Hallmark Security League with a narrow win at basement outfit Ashton Town.

Ashton were playing their final home game of the season and seemed determined to sign off with a win.

They took a second-minute lead through Jordan Tyrer but Nicky McNally hit back minutes later.

Ashton were back in front after a Cobbydalers’ defender inadvertently turned the ball past his own keeper midway through the first half, but Danny Forrest’s men were level at the interval after Tom Henderson’s 32nd-minute equaliser, and Mark Trueman netted a direct free-kick early in the second half to earn the visitors their 3-2 victory.

The Cobbydalers moved back above Stockport Town with just one game remaining.

Forrest’s men host mid-table rivals Cheadle Town on Saturday.